5.28.2009

The World’s Boringest Testimony

4581_1109984426765_1141492659_30381322_3378700_n There were many things that struck me and many ways that I met God at NEXT. But one of the reoccurring themes was awe at my salvation story. During the conference, it regularly brought me to tears.D.A. Carson referenced that he grew up in a Christian home and was genuinely saved as a pre-teen. Kevin DeYoung & Josh Harris had similar stories and they were both saved as teens. Ricky (one of the folks that shared their testimony during the conference), also had a similar story. (I loved it when he mentioned Psalty!!!) Kevin DeYoung mentioned that we should be excited when we hear of boring testimonies. Any time God moves on a heart of stone it is a powerful story. During many of these testimonies, I was brought to tears. Not because of their stories (as powerful as they were), but the realization that my story was more boring. God’s incredible kindness in my life blew me away…

I was saved at a very, very young age. Most people will (rightly so) question a child’s conversion when it was so young. My parents did and walked me through the gospel (when I was older), making sure I understood and believed what I professed. I did! One of my earliest childhood memories was worshipping on a Sunday morning. Singing on the top of my lungs, because I loved Jesus. I cannot remember a time when I did not love my Savior and try to obey Him. It simply does not exist in my memory!

I grew up in a very loving Christian home. God graciously gave me godly and doctrinally grounded parents. Biblical truth and the doctrines of grace have been constantly preached to my soul. Life hasn’t been a bed of roses. I’ve had my own “little” rebellion. I’ve experienced many bumps and trials along the way. I’ve wrestled with gripping legalism and much besetting sin. But, God has protected me through it all! He has guarded me from so much sin and temptation. He has faithfully carried me through trials. He has taught me the difference between obedience and duty. He has shown me that His love for me will always far exceed my love for Him! And a quarter of a century later, I love Him more than ever! His love has motivated everything. He who died a violent death for my heinous sins. How could I not desperately love, obey, and follow such a Savior?

I have the world’s boringest testimony. And I am SO GRATEFUL!!! I do not deserve to have been a daughter of the King for so long. I do not deserve His care, grace, power, and protection. I have experienced the love of the Creator of the Universe for as long as I can remember. Wow! That is a gift I DO NOT deserve! Oh what grace! Halleluiah, what a Savior!!!

No comments: