3.17.2009

They Feared Greatly

When Pharaoh drew near, the people of Israel lifted up their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians were marching after them, and they feared greatly. And the people of Israel cried out to the Lord. Exodus 14:40

“That lump on the back of my head…I wonder if it’s cancer?”

“My body is so messed up, I know I’ll never bear children.”

“This sin is so gripping. I cannot loose it’s grip on my life. I’ll never change!”

“I’m nearing 30, and still single, why? It’s gotta be my fault…”

“If my child screams one more time…”

“Job…money…the economy…I just know I’m gonna lose everything.”

Do any of these describe your thoughts? As I was reading Exodus 14:40, I was struck by, “and they feared greatly”. The Israelites were scared. Not just scared, but that stop in mid-stride, frozen on the spot kind of fear. They were really scared. When I am battling fear, what do I do? Sadly, it depends. Sometimes I look to God, sometimes I just choose to ignore my fear. I try and fill my mind with something else. If I drown it out, maybe it will go away.

What did Israel do? They cried out to God. I don’t think this was a small plea, I think it was more like a wail. A desperate on your knees cry for help. Do I turn to God when I’m scared? Do I throw myself upon the throne of grace? Or do I look to things (music, movies, work, daydreams, and even people)? Shouldn’t I fix my gaze on my loving Savior? In whom or what do I trust? My abilities (my abilities to “clearly” see the circumstances) or the all-wise, all-powerful, and loving Creator of my soul?

No comments: