3.28.2009

The Lord Is

Last night Matt read Psalm 23. I have had this Psalm memorized since I was a child. It’s so familiar that, sadly, I do not meditate on it or read it often. But, as Matt read it out loud, it came alive. Especially since we had just finished singing The Lord Is off of the Psalms cd. This morning I revisited this Psalm with my ESV Study Bible…

“This hymn is usually classified as a psalm of confidence in the Lord’s care. It uses two images: the Lord as Shepherd who cares for the sheep, and the Lord as Host who cares for his guest. These images would be familiar from everyday experience; but they also evoke other ideas common in the ancient Near East, with the deity as shepherd of his people and the deity as host of the meal. In worship, the faithful celebrate God’s greatness and majesty; and when they sing this psalm, they see his majesty in the way he personally attends to each of his covenant lambs. He is the shepherd for Israel as a whole; and in being such, he is the shepherd for each faithful Israelite as well.”

As I read Psalm 23 this morning I inserted my name into the personal pronouns…

23:1 The Lord is [Jessica’s] shepherd; [Jessica] shall not want.
2 He makes [Jessica] lie down in green pastures.
He leads [Jessica] beside still waters. [1]
3 He restores [Jessica’s] soul.
He leads [Jessica] in paths of righteousness [2]
for his name's sake.

4 Even though [Jessica] walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [3]
[Jessica] will fear no evil,
for you are with [Jessica];
your rod and your staff,
they comfort [Jessica].

5 You prepare a table before [Jessica]
in the presence of [Jessica’s] enemies;
you anoint [Jessica’s} head with oil;
[Jessica’s] cup overflows.
6 Surely [4] goodness and mercy [5] shall follow [Jessica]
all the days of [Jessica’s] life,
and [Jessica] shall dwell [6] in the house of the Lord
forever. [7]

The Lord Is

As recorded on Psalms
Listen to song sample

The depths of Your grace who can measure
You fully supply all I need
You restore my weary soul again and again
And lead me in Your righteousness and peace
You’re with me through every dark valley
There’s nothing that I have to fear
You are there to comfort me again and again
Protecting me, assuring me You’re near


The Lord is
The Lord is my shepherd
The Lord is
The Lord is my shepherd
I shall not want


You gave Your own life for my ransom
So I could rejoice at Your side
You have shown Your faithfulness again and again
There’s nothing good that You will not provide
I will dwell in Your house
All the days of my life
I will dwell in Your house
All the days of my life


© 2008 Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP)/Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI). Music by Pat Sczebel, Words by Pat Sczebel and Bob Kauflin. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: