1.30.2009

Election Reflections

John 6.37-40 ESV All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

Where God is the focus, hope is the result. – Jim Britt

I was struck this morning how contemplating election gives me hope for so much more than just my salvation. Duh, I know. But, I was reading over the sermon outline on my church’s blog. During the sermon (and today) I found the Scripture above so comforting. Jesus does the will of God. Always. And it is God’s will that He should never loose a single redeemed sinner. That brings so much hope! My sanctification is based in the will of God, it’s based in the gospel. It’s God’s will for me to be His child, for me to belong to Him. It’s His sovereign desire for me to become like Him and live in Heaven with Him for all eternity. If it’s God’s will, then you can take it to the bank that it will happen. What does that mean? He will keep me. He will guard me. He will protect me. The emphasis is on God working out my sanctification, not me pulling myself up by my boot straps. I participate, but it is only by His grace and power that I succeed. It is such a glorious truth, I can’t go anywhere! I can’t leave His side. I am His and He is never letting me go!!! WooHoo! Now that’s something to party about.

Some may say, that this reassurance would tempt people to license. And given human nature, I’m sure that it does/can. But, God has changed my heart. And while I still sin all the time, my desire is to serve my Heavenly Father. Love motivates my obedience. Love to the Redeemer who snatched my soul from Hell. I want to be kept. I don’t want to leave His side. And even though there is a Gollum-like battle in my soul constantly; I do not want to sin. So this truth/Scripture produces hope in my soul. Hope to ride out the storm of life. Hope that God will give me the power to fight sin (Ro. 1:12). Hope that His love is not based on my performance. Hope that I will reside in Heaven one day. Hope that He will perfect the good work He began. Wow, what a God I serve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Jessica, and thanks for the reminder! In these last couple of weeks I've began reading the book "Grace: God's Unmerited Favor" by Spurgeon. And it's so cool because the book and these scriptures we've been going through in church go so well together. Wow, you're right, what a God we serve!

Danielle