9.10.2008

Make Us gods Who Shall Go Before Us

Exodus 24:7b And they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.”

Exodus 24:18 Moses entered the cloud and went up on the mountain. And Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.

Exodus 32:1 When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people gathered themselves together to Aaron and said to him, “Up, make us gods who shall go before us. As for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.

How often I forget God. I make gods to supposedly solve my problems, to "go before me". When life is easy and the path ahead is clear, I pledge my unswerving allegiance and trust. But, when the path becomes tiring and the view is foggy, I turn to self-sufficiency. Since I'm tired and I can't see, something must be wrong. My life should always be easy and have a clear view. So, I turn from my promised allegiance and try to fix and/or figure out my circumstances/life. I turn to my god (idol) of choice, myself. And just like the Israelites, it gets me nowhere. I end up in the woodshed, being disciplined for my sin by my Heavenly Father.

But, there is a glorious difference between the Israelites and myself. I have no restitution to pay. No works and sacrifices are needed to gain God's forgiveness. My sins have been paid for. I live in the new covenant of the gospel. Jesus has become my atonement. He took on God's wrath for me. I can come boldly to the throne of grace, ask for forgiveness of my sin, and receive the unending mercy of my Father. My unbelief, self-sufficiency, and pride are forgiven. The penalty for my affronts to His character have been paid for. He forgives me and gives me the grace & power (Ro. 1:16, 1 Peter 1:3-7) to turn around and respond in faith and obedience once more. How amazing! What an incredible God!

No comments: