6.06.2008

Consistently Reading Scripture

I was on the New Attitude blog today catching up on some recent posts that I haven't had the time to read. I was reading an interview that the Na Staff had with Mark Dever. The answer to the question below was incredible! It was very encouraging to me as I have times where I love to read Scripture and times where I have a hard time finding any desire to read it...

What’s one thing you’ve learned after years of reading the Bible about how to read the Bible well?

That’s it’s more important that I keep doing it than what I get out of it at any particular time.

A lot of young Christians will have an exciting quiet time on Monday and a really exciting one on Tuesday and an awesome one on Wednesday but then something happens on Thursday and they actually don’t even do it and Friday they do it and they feel guilty and it isn’t that good and Saturday they do it but it’s late and they were discouraged...and then they just get discouraged because they’re not always having a super experience. That’s where I would look at them and say, “Just keep going. Aim at obedience in a long direction set in a pattern for decades. If you just keep going you’ll gain so much by consistency and and faithfulness that there’s no way you can gain just by sudden experience.”

 

You can read the full article HERE.

No comments: