3.05.2009

Strike Sail To Him

None have right to joy but we, for joy is sown for us, and an ill summer or harvest will not spill the crop.

I am in this house of my pilgrimage every way in good case; Christ is most kind and loving to my soul: it pleaseth him to feast with unseen consolations a stranger, and an exiled prisoner: and I would not exchange my Lord Jesus, with all the comfort out of heaven; his yoke is easy, and his burden light. This is his truth I now suffer for; for he hath sealed it with his blessed presence.

I am in as sweet communion with Christ as a poor sinner can be; and am only pained that he hath much beauty and fairness, and I little love; he great power and mercy, and I little faith; he much light, and I bleared eyes.

This water was in your way to heaven, and written in your Lord’s book; ye behoved to cross it: and therefore, kiss his wise and unerring providence. Let not the censures of men, who see but the outside of things (and scarce well that), abate your courage and rejoicing in the Lord; howbeit, your faith seeth the black side of providence, yet it hath a better side, and God shall let you see it.

Let not the Lord’s dealings seem harsh, rough, or unfatherly, because it is unpleasant. When the Lord’s blessed will bloweth cross your desires, it is best in humility to strike sail to him and to be willing to be laid any way our Lord pleaseth: it is a point of denial of yourself, to be as if ye had not a will, but had made a free disposition of it to God, and had sold it over to him; and to make use of his will for your own is both true holiness, and your ease and peace.

Ye know not what the Lord is working out of this, but ye shall know it hereafter.

- Samuel Rutherford, The Loveliness of Christ

No comments: