12.11.2008

Peace That Endures

Many things can cause anxiety in my soul. A teetering economy. A friends struggle with sin. An event tomorrow (that is our church's biggest event of the year and I'm administrating it!). Allergies. My heart can feel like a ping pong ball. My mind is spinning. I am trying to trust, but I keep leaping over the net into fear and worry, and than back over again. It's a vicious cycle. But, there is Hope! For the Christian, there is always hope. My mom often reminds me that a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Pet. 3:3) is not being a "mouse". It is a heart issue. The Proverbs 31 woman could laugh at the days to come (Prov. 31:25) because she had a gentle and quiet spirit. She had confidence in her God. Her trust was completely in the One who holds the universe. Jani Ortland comments on this verse:

Why is a gentle and quiet spirit pleasing to God? Because serenity is a sign of trust. When we are agitated and restless, we are responding to life in fear. Worry leaves no room for God’s way to be trusted. What enables us to be gentle and quiet in the hidden part of our feminine souls? What produces an inner serenity in the midst of tumult? It is a deep confidence in God’s loving care, in His Fatherly protection. It is the belief that He holds only the kindest intentions towards us.

So no matter the circumstance, God has it in perfect control. Anything that comes my way has been ordained by my heavenly Father. I can be at peace (at rest), no matter how out of control things can seem. My God is in control. He is good, wise, loving, and faithful. My hope is in Him, not in my abilities or my desire to "fix it". My Refuge is all-knowing and all-powerful. He always knows best.

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. -Isa. 26:3

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. -Jn. 14:27

For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility. -Eph. 2:14

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Phil. 4:7

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. -Col. 3:15

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love you and am praying for you! :)