12.23.2008

Isaiah 9:6

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Matt read from Isaiah 9 on Sunday. I really corresponded well with Dad's message (more thoughts on that later). This verse stuck out to me, especially the end of the verse. I was amazed that this God was my God. He is my Wonderful Counselor. My Mighty God. My Everlasting Father. My Prince of Peace. Because of the cross, I have a relationship with this God. I don't just have the privilege of conversing with Him. I'm adopted by Him. I am His child.

For the next couple days, I'd like to share Matthew Henry's comments about these four names in this verse...

Wonderful Counselor

See the dignity he is advanced to, and the name he has above every name. He shall be called (and therefore we are sure he is and shall be) Wonderful, Counsellor, etc. His people shall know him and worship him by these names; and, as one that fully answers them, they shall submit to him and depend upon him. He is wonderful, counsellor. Justly is he called wonderful, for he is both God and man. His love is the wonder of angels and glorified saints; in his birth, life, death, resurrection, and ascension, he was wonderful. A constant series of wonders attended him, and without controversy, great was the mystery of godliness concerning him. He is the counsellor, for he was intimately acquainted with the counsels of God from eternity, and he gives counsel to the children of men, in which he consults our welfare. It is by him that God has given us counsel. He is the wisdom of the Father, and is made of God to us wisdom. Some join these together: He is the wonderful counsellor, a wonder or miracle of a counsellor; in this, as in other things, he has the pre-eminence; none teaches like him.

No comments: