9.20.2008

Golden Chain of Mercies

One of my favorite authors is Elisabeth Elliot. I love her confident love of God's Sovereignty, no matter the circumstance. Scripture is her sure rock. I like her writing style and I always leave reading feeling encouraged and more in love with my Savior. This morning I was reading Secure in the Everlasting Arms. It's a book of small devotionals, compilations of articles and essays that she has written over the years. It's a very good book! Here's a very insightful quote I read this morning:

We have only this present moment. God does not usually give us previews of coming attractions. I can look back over many decades, remembering how worried I sometimes was, how bewildered at things God had permitted to happen, but no I see them as a golden chain of mercies, gifts from a merciful Father who, like the father Jesus described, would never give his son a snake if he asked for a fish. What looks to us like a good thing might actually ruin us. How thankful I am for God's withholdings, for His unfailing faithfulness.

No comments: