9.01.2008

30 years

Today is a very special day. It's my parents 30th wedding anniversary!!! Here's how they met...

Both mom and dad attended the same youth group at Pinecastle Methodist Church. A mutual friend randomly introduced them to each other at a Fall Festival (I think Dad was 16 and Mom was 17). There weren’t any sparks…none! It was a “Hi, nice to meet you.” kind of thing and that was it. But, in God’s sovereignty, mom began to notice dad (He was pretty darn cute!) at meetings. My mom was (and is) very committed to focusing on God and God alone. She felt this cute 16 yr. old was distracting her from her Savior. So one day in chapel, she passed him a note. She asked if he would meet her at a certain spot after chapel was over (before they went to their separate classes, or whatever they called it). Dad, who hadn’t given my mom another thought since their first meeting, met her after chapel. My nice, sweet, quiet mother looked him in the eyes and said, “I think that Satan has sent you to distract me from God. So, stay out of my way.” That was it. She walked away. Needless to say, this conversation had the opposite affect. Dad was about to pursue another girl, but decided not to. Dad was intrigued and went to his youth pastor and wife (they were also good friends of my moms), and asked who this girl was. The rest, as they say, was history. Dad & mom dated on and off for about 2 years. They were married on September 1, 1978. It was a very 70’s wedding. :) They went to Tampa, Florida (Busch Gardens, etc.) on their honeymoon. They had intended to go to the Low Country in South Carolina, but a hurricane changed their plans! :) My parents are my heroes! God has always been most important to them. Whether it’s in training us, giving of their lives and resources, humbling asking for input, being the most incredible examples, pouring their lives/hearts into the local church…God has always been their motivation. I pray that I can be like them (even if just a little bit) when I “grow up”! 

Mom & Dad, I love you so much! Thanks for being such an incredible example and leading me so patiently & lovingly. I pray that you will feel God's pleasure for a job well done!

No comments: