8.25.2008

Alas and Did My Savior Bleed

We sang Alas & Did My Savior Bleed on Sunday. As we were singing I was struck how the first verse and chorus are full of rhetorical questions. They're not just questions, but facts. They're truths that have already happened. This is what was going on in my head as we sang...

Alas and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I

Alas my Savior bled
And my Savior died
He devoted that sacred head
For a filthy worm, for me

Was it for sins that I had done
He groaned upon the tree
Amazing pity, grace unknown
And love beyond degree

Because of the sins I committed
He groaned on that tree
It was amazing pity and grace unknown
It was love beyond degree

My God why would
You shed Your blood
So pure and undefiled
To make a sinful one like me
Your chosen precious child

My God why DID
You shed your blood
So pure and undefiled
To make a sinful one like me
Your chosen, precious child
© 1997 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI). Music and chorus lyrics by Bob Kauflin. Lyrics by Isaac Watts 
 

It was a fresh reminder of what I know, but so quickly forget. My salvation has been accomplished. It's done, paid for. It's a fact. It does not and will not change. What a hope-filled thought!

No comments: