6.28.2008

Plant Trees & Pay Taxes

The prop statement from this past Sunday's sermon was: If it's all over tomorrow what should you and I be doing today? Dad startedP2060008 with a story about Martin Luther. When asked what he would do if he (Martin Luther) found out that God was returning tomorrow, Luther replied, "I would plant a tree and pay my taxes". It was a great sermon from 1 Peter 4:7-11. If you have iTunes (my sympathies if you don't) you can download the podcast HERE. Or you can go to our website (www.sgcsc.org) and download it there.

As I was looking over my notes, I was struck by a comment my dad made. "We should be consumed with His reputation." In the past when I've thought about living for God's reputation, I've thought about it in the normal/general ways. Evangelism, mortifying sin, pursuing the spiritual disciplines, denying myself, etc. All of which are fantastic ways to put His reputation ahead of my own! But, this time, I thought a little more specifically. One of the areas that I sin in is the Fear of Man. I call it my sin of choice. I'm very experienced and knowledgeable in this sin! Unfortunately, I've perfected the skill of having the Fear of Man. The Lord has been working in my hear a lot lately. One of the things I've been convicted about is being myself. Being myself in the little things. Not being consumed with my perception of how someone wants me to be, but being who God made me. And I'm talking little silly things like, Clemson Football, music preferences, etc. Taking pleasure in the personality God gave to me. Reflecting His character with the way He's made me and gifted me.

So, I started thinking about the sermon in light of my Fear of Man. If I was consumed with God's reputation (and not my own), I would be myself. It doesn't matter what someone thinks about my station wagon. It doesn't matter if I love college football. It doesn't matter that I like to play with HTML. That's who God made me to be. He didn't make me to be clones of those around me. And when I am the person He created me to be, He gets more glory. The gospel shines forth. His reputation is magnified. Why? Because I'm at peace and looking to Him. I'm not consumed with myself and my reputation. I'm trusting in Him. My confidence lies in Him. I'm a redeemed sinner! I have been snatched from the fires of Hell and brought into the "Family Room" of the awesome Creator of the Universe. Of course His glory and His reputation should be of first importance. I've been loved so amazingly. I want to show that love in return. I want to be a reflection of my amazing Savior! We live for That Day by being faithful to Him this day...

(Hopefully that rambling made sense!) 

No comments: