5.30.2008

He's My Shepherd

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want (PS 23.1)

Charles Spurgeon says of this verse, “The sweetest word on the whole is my. He does not say, ‘The Lord is the shepherd of the world at large, and leads forth the multitude as his flock.’ If he is a shepherd to no one else, he is a shepherd to me.”

What a wonderful truth! Every Christian can say, “Jesus Christ, the Sovereign Lord, has taken upon himself the task of being MY shepherd. He’s dedicated himself to providing ME with green pastures and still waters. He’s resolved to restore MY soul when I’ve fallen in sin or when I’m weary. He’s committed to guide ME in paths of righteousness for his glory. He’ll never leave MY side, no matter how deep the valley or how dark the shadow of death I must pass through.”

Who needs a personal trainer when the Lord is their personal Shepherd?

Jesus knows each of his sheep personally. He knows us by name. He’s intimately acquainted with our hearts, our hopes, our sins and struggles, and will carry us through to the end. No one can snatch us out of his hand.

What a great and glorious Savior we serve. He doesn’t care for us because we’re good enough, smart enough, and doggone it people like us. We’re singularly unlovable, but Jesus shepherds us because he’s so great and good.

-Mark Altrogee

No comments: