5.30.2008

God's Sense of Humor pt. 2

Sunday: I have decided that Starbucks is an evidence of God's kindness on mankind, His common grace (and I'm NOT joking!). I'm not sure how I would have made it through the conference without Starbucks new drink, Venti Doubleshot on Ice. Sometimes God supernaturally gives us energy, sometimes He uses physical means to serve us. A Venti Doubleshot in the morning and one in the evening around 5:30pm will keep you awake. Did I mention that each drink has 5 shots of espresso in it? :-) Yum!

Nothing embarrassing happened to me this year! No getting drug down halls at the Galt House at 2:30am. YAY! Once is enough. I did get some presents from the Ninjas! I got a Na button (a big one this year) and I got free coffee at Starbucks! fdsasdSunday afternoon our church went to the Old Spaghetti Factory for lunch.  Everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves. I was so glad we made reservations and that we had a room all to ourselves. It was a very memorable time!

Let me try and remember all God did, Sunday was a long time ago. During the entire conference the Holy Spirit filled me with a peace and trust in Him that was incredible. Whether it was because things weren't going the way I expected, I was about to fall asleep during Mohler and Piper (frustrating!), trying to get things done, etc...God's presence and peace was always right there, quieting my soul. Actually, He still is. During worship God was in my face, reminding me of His love for me and His pleasure in me. Telling me that it didn't matter if I was an idiot, His love and pleasure aren't based on my performance. They're based on Him, on His character and they have nothing to do with me. I know this, but it's difficult to get it through my thick head. Probably the most humbling moment in the conference was Al Mohler's Q&A. I'm sitting on the front row and I'm having a really hard time following Dr. Mohler. It was very interesting, but I was very tired. I was starting to nod off and I really wasn't processing what they were talking about. So, I leaned over to my sister and told her I was going back up to the hotel room. I needed sleep if I wanted to listen to Mr. Mahaney that night. I wasn't going to make it like I was now. So, Katie and I got up and walked out. It was very humbling to acknowledge that I was weak. I couldn't run on fumes like I always do at NA. I had to sleep and leave in the middle of a message to do it.

When I woke up from my nap, I noticed that there were cards under our door. Huh??? Our dear church had noticed us leave and knew why. They knew (I think because Matt R. told on me...) that the reason I was tired was because I had put a lot of work into NA right before we left. So, they chipped in and bought Katie and I each a $25 gift card to Starbucks. That's the way to my heart!!! Just give me coffee and I'm your best friend! Even this continued God's theme of the conference, He loved me and was pleased with me. He wanted to bless me and was blessing me. He was blessing me even though I couldn't see it, I just needed to sit and wait. Just watch Him provide. Then Katie, Susanna, Kristen (who we fondly called mom. I was SO grateful for her! Katie got sick and I really didn't know what to do. She found out and told Katie all kinds of things to do. And it worked!), and I went to dinner. Then I went to Starbucks and got a free doubleshot. Yay for Courtesy Ninjas! I had a feeling that Mr. Mahaney's message on the Word of God and Feelings was going to really affect me. Little did I know that I would be a puddle of tears by the end of the night. I really can't tell you very much of what he said. Only as he was talking about the Psalmist he was talking about the waves of trials crushing down and how the Psalmist was discouraged. He started talking about different trials that can cause us to be weary and discouraged (like the Psalmist was). He mentioned singleness (i.e. long wait for marriage) and I almost lost it. It took everything in me to sit there composed. I kept telling myself, just to wait for worship...I sort of did. :-) Then he quoted Spurgeon. I can't wait till the NA crew provide transcripts because I really want that quote! The jist of it was, how we should humbly demand God's promises of God. I sat there stunned. This was my biggest struggle. How could I do that? I was undone. I can't even tell you all that God did that night, I just know the Holy Spirit was working in my heart A LOT! During worship the Lord kept reminding me that He loved me, I was glorifying Him with my life, and that He would lavishly provide for me. That He was actaully working at the conference, I just couldn't see it. Just to wait and watch Him work. Wow!

Then we went to the Zelos concert. One of my favorite bands! Yippee, I love free concerts. Emily surprised me and bought me their new 2 song EP cd. The remix of Steal Away is fantastic!!! Then I talked to Christa C. for a little while and then I went to bed. Don't have a clue what time, just knew I had to get up at 6:45am to have breakfast with Emily...

No comments: